Choose Your Own Adventure

We are doing something new! From now on this will serve as an arts blog. As a dancer, I've never really enjoyed dance magazines because of the "fluff" articles in them. Through this blog I will review arts shows, interview artists, feature articles about arts politics, trends, and work going on in Halifax, NS, and the world!

Sunday 19 July 2015

Preparations

Because I was a little late on the last post, this will be pretty short since not much happened since then.
 
I did get to go see another dance show on Friday night called Personal Symphonic Moment, a trio choreographed by Elina Pirinen. This piece was so wild and intense I could help but love it. The Odeon theatre was a beautiful facility where the sides of the stage were lined with massive pillars and the back wall had 3 arches, which gave the building a classic charm. The opening of the piece was in darkness with Shostakovich's Leningrad Symphony blasting in the theatre for 5-10 minutes. The lights slowly fade in and we first see the three dancers slowly walking forward. They stop, and from behind their backs pull a bag of paint that they pour over their faces. From there, it goes ape-shit. There were several rude gestures and nudity, but that was not even the most intense. There were numerous props including a bath of ice, marsh mellows, microphones, a remote control car, mouse traps, fake flowers, and more paint. I'll leave it to your imagination to figure out how they used them because I couldn't even know where to begin. No matter how crazy it got, I kept loving that work. It was physical and magically absurd.



At that show I found a friend I had made the night before at another dance show and met a few new people as well. 3 of us went for a beer around Schwedenplatz on the river. The river is lined with random bars and the one we went to had sand placed on the sides with lawn chairs you can chill in with a beer. So we grabbed a table, drank, then decided to go home. I have a feeling the parties will get a bit rowdier once the festival is really in full swing.


After a relaxing weekend of yoga in Turkenschanzpark and doing nothing but skyping JR, I'm feeling pretty anxious to get moving again. The first thing I do is one of my field projects with Philippe Riera from 10AM-4PM Mon-Fri this week. I'm feeling well fed and ready to get to work. More to report on Thursday; wish me luck!

Happy Travels,
G


No comments:

Post a Comment