Choose Your Own Adventure

We are doing something new! From now on this will serve as an arts blog. As a dancer, I've never really enjoyed dance magazines because of the "fluff" articles in them. Through this blog I will review arts shows, interview artists, feature articles about arts politics, trends, and work going on in Halifax, NS, and the world!

Friday 17 July 2015

Opening Performances

Sooooooooo I forgot to post yesterday... My bad. BUT here is the lowdown on ImPulsTanz thus far!


Tuesday was awesome because of the amazing performance Doris Uhlich and her dancers gave at the opening event of the festival. It was in the middle of Museums Quartier with a massive stage and people crowding everywhere just to get a good view of this show. It was truly incredible to see so many people out to support this strange and beautiful art. Doris Uhlich is a choreographer and a DJ, so she's pretty awesome. Starting her piece off with "Doing It Right" by Daft Punk was a solid intro for the piece we were about to see. Her dancers entered the stage at the beginning clothed, and exited at the end completely nude. In the middle there was a lot of stripping, bodies jiggling, running around, sweating, baby powder in the air, more jiggling, and eventually champagne showers. And to Doris' selection of music, it was epically enjoyable for everyone. It was a perfect beginning for me in particular because I needed to see that empowerment the dancers had.

Wednesday I decided to take out a city bike and go for a ride along the Donaukanal. The weather had cooled down to a normal temperature so it was comfortable and enjoyable.

Yesterday was busier than normal. I decided to go get my workshop pass from the workshop office, which I read was in Museums Quartier. So I went there and found an ImPulsTanz office, only to find out the place to get my passes had moved from that spot and it was a good distance away where most of the classes actually take place. So I went there and found the office, got my pass, and also looked into the studios... Holy lord they are massive and amazing and I cannot wait to get in there and start moving. It was unlike any other studio I've ever been in and I feel so lucky to experience that.

That evening was also the first of the [8:TENSION] series performances. This series showcases upcoming artists and some of their experimental work. The first was by Maarten Seghers. In my humble opinion it was more performance art than dance, but it was a strange and funny performance that I still enjoyed. He spent a good portion of the show talking about horseradish and trying to get the audience to cheer "horseradish", and it was a great example of how you can harp on something and eventually get people on board with you.


Another great part of the night was actually making friends! Feeling lonely sucks, so I met these people doing the ATLAS program in the festival where you get to have a mentor and create something during the month here. Felt very grateful to finally know some people before going into the classes.

And that all takes us to today, which started off lame because as I was going to get groceries, I was J walking and tripped and wiped out on the road... I scrambled to get up and still went to get groceries, but I tore up my knee pretty nicely. So now my next trip is to the drug store...


Happy Travels,
G

No comments:

Post a Comment