Choose Your Own Adventure

We are doing something new! From now on this will serve as an arts blog. As a dancer, I've never really enjoyed dance magazines because of the "fluff" articles in them. Through this blog I will review arts shows, interview artists, feature articles about arts politics, trends, and work going on in Halifax, NS, and the world!

Sunday 12 July 2015

The Lonely Traveller


So coming out of an eventful week, I'm quieting down a bit.

One luxury of travelling alone is not worrying about anyone else's timeline. I can wake up whenever I want, see whatever I want, eat when I want, it's all in my hands. I'm finding it interesting to really have so much time alone. Even in a crowd, I'm isolated. I can't understand anyone when they speak, I have trouble communicating to people, and I have nobody to communicate to in my own language. This time has really been me learning to rely on me again. I've always been self-sufficient more or less, but now it's really telling of how important that is in a situation like this.

I've done some sight seeing and now I'm just trying to be accustomed to my routes to and from the dance studios, and prepare myself for the 26 days straight that I will be dancing... Daunting? Absolutely.

I've found the route I need to take to the dance studios and timed it roughly, and I've been double and triple checking my schedule of classes and shows to see so that once it starts, I'm ready to give it my all. I must admit I've been feeling pretty lazy with the amount of down time I have, but I'm doing my best to get out everyday and get something done, even if it's just a walk to the park.



While it has been pretty lonely, I did get to meet up with old high school buds on their own Euro-trip! Sarah, Cameron, Shane and I all went through high school in Halifax together and when I found out their next stop was Vienna, I had to make plans with them to get out of the lonely traveller blues. Yesterday the four of us went for lunch at an Italian restaurant by Stephansplatz station, a very crowded and beautiful area with Stephansdom (gothic church) right in the center. The reunion was really nice to catch up with them, we had an excellent conversation about art history and today's contemporary art and ate some excellent and well

priced food. They were going to the Kunsthistoriches Museum and since I had already been, I decided to head home. The brief encounter was enough to make me feel a little social for the first time in a week and a half.


I have had some good opportunities to get lost as well! Sometimes I might forget my life-saving map booklet and it somewhat liberates me to wander and find things I wouldn't be looking for. It is the perfect way to see Vienna's streets that are so full of life, coffee and gelato! I have become an avid gelato lover and I don't think I've seen a regular ice cream bar yet, so gelato is the dessert of the month for me. I think my favorite so far is haselnuss.

The ImPlusTanz festivities will be starting on Tuesday so this should be my last non-dance related post, so get ready for some weird contemporary coming at ya!

Happy Travels,
G







No comments:

Post a Comment